Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ode to a Fine Daughter in Law

My Son Tim’'s wife, Raquella is a good partner for my son. She just turned 24. 3 kids. Doing well. Smart woman. (He’s pretty bright too)

She has sense beyond her years and deserves to be recognized.

Everyone’s stock in your life is either going up or down. Hers with me took a huge up spike when she told me that even if she was having difficulties in her marriage the last person or people she would ever talk to about it with were her parents; Or Peggy and Me.

That to her parents and to us they are unified and straight-ahead in life.

That matters so much to me because I have seen so many good marriages go bad because parents couldn’t or wouldn’t stay out of their kid’s marriage problems.

If you are a parent and your kid is having marriage problems, repeat after me, “Wow, I have no standing in this, I hope you guys work this out, I really do”. Then zip it. You have no business criticizing, evaluating, comparing or otherwise talking about your kids spouse than the next-door neighbor does.

Thanks for living that out Raquella.

No comments: