Saturday, December 10, 2005

Pomeroy Pummeled and Praised (Poisoned?)

A couple days ago Earl Pomeroy the sole U S Representative from the state of North Dakota and a Democrat made national news. He told Howard Dean to just Shut Up. Stop Talking.

Republicans and conservatives praised him for his frankness; liberal democrats criticized him for his off the reservation remarks. More centrist democrats agreed with him mostly in private and some in public.


I have to agree with Pomeroy. Howard Dean is embarrassing even to me and I’m not even a democrat. I don’t know Earl Pomeroy. But already I like him. It takes guts to take on the leadership in public.


So, what will the outcome be? National Democratic Party officials might punish him. This happens all the time. Honesty and candor will get you no where. That’s not just a Democrat disattribute, try dissing a Republican leader. Siberia isn’t a cold enough shoulder for how you’ll be treated.


On the other hand it might be the smartest move he ever made. Dorgan and Conrad have made a living out of voting liberal and talking conservative.


I have two sons, Tim (Fargo) who is more conservative than I am. He wonders about me, thinks I’m just a little liberal. Kevin (Boston) on the other had is far more liberal than am I. He wonders about dad too.


After Pomeroy said what he said, Tim called his office in Fargo. Expressed him to the man who answered the phone about how pleased he was with the comments and candor. The man at Pomeroy’s office took Tim’s number and address.


Then Tim said, I need you to know who I really am and why this phone call matters. I have been an outspoken opponent of Earl Pomeroy. In fact Tim is acquainted with President Bush. When Bush comes to Fargo Tim is there as part of the team. Tim’s brother in law Nathan Miller was the campaign manager for the person running against Pomeroy in the last election. Tim was active in trying to defeat Earl Pomeroy. They lost.


His comment to me was, I won’t be participating in that this time. It will be hard to vote against Mr. Pomeroy. Honesty counts for Conservatives.


Well done Mr. Pomeroy.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

I'm in agreement with Earl "The Pearl" Pomeroy too.
I wonder, though, if he's about to change his stripes?
It'd be easier to get re-elected as a GOP than a DEM..and, isn't that what's it's REALLY all about?