Monday, December 19, 2005

Fantasy - Vanity - TIme and Times

You know these people, self important, attractive, skillful, connected, media savvy, iconic and still able to position themselves portrayed as victims.
 
Working in Corporate America I met several.  Well dressed nincompoops who looked good, but who possessed no actual brain.  Perhaps it's because I didn't look as good or dress as well (but I could think and actually get desired results) that they grated on me a bit.  I could put up with their presence until they opened their mouth.
 
So, you know these people.  I mean, we watch TV shows about them.  The only weekly TV show I have programmed on my VCR  is Alias (No I don't own a TIVO).  The very beautiful Jennifer Garner, Her associates, her spy dad, all very attractive people.  Only the pro/antagonist Sloane is sort of not pretty.  And it is intriguing.  I'm into it.  Not since Star Wars Next Generation have I been so taken with a TV show. 
 
Who can resist a beautiful spy, her handsome husband or father, dark undercover, opponents from on high in government.  It's great stuff.
 
In real life it's more transparent. The media has loved the whole Valerie Plame Joe Wilson deal, she's a mom, and he's handsome, and they have a baby (Something Sidney Bristow is about to do on Alias).  And Valerie is pretty, (I may not have mentioned that). 
 
Joe Wilson and Valerie Plame love the spotlight.  You have seen the Vanity Fair Cover with the two of them in a Mercedes Convertible.  She is in "Disguise" with a scarf and sunglasses.  We're supposed to ask "who's the mystery woman with the ambassador". 
 
So when she was "OUTED" by someone unknown it was supposed to be a big shock.  Heck, they couldn't stand NOT being the center of attention.
 
But you know these kind of people.  Look at me, look at me, no don't look at me.  They were in your workplace, they were in your church, they were in your class in college.  Acting humble and yet hoping to be the center of attention at all times.  Then feeling persecuted because you paid them attention.
 
So, now Time Magazine has stroked them once again and they love it, New York Times quarterbacked the leak story to embarrass the President (which is New York Time's current mission statement), Vanity Fair is running a new article on them.  "We just want to be left alone, no wait, not really".
 
It's all Fantasy Island.  They fly in, the little guy says, "de plane, de plane", they dress up pretty in spy clothes and pretend to be meaningful for the rest of us.  And we suck it up.  It sells glossy tabloid magazines like Time.  We are so pitiful as a country. 
 
I think I'll stick to real fantasy, Alias and Sidney Bristow, unless the Plame-Wilsons make a movie, starring themselves of course.
 
Oh wait, they already did.
 
 

No comments: