Friday, December 23, 2005

I'm NOT Dreaming of a White Christmas

Peggy and I were in town walking around Thursday on her Birthday. It was a beautiful day. People all over the place. Music, color and all the things you think of for Christmas. Marshal Fields (soon to become Macys), Water Tower Place (a huge downtown shopping mall) and The German Christmas Market.

BUT, I made an observation which I am puzzled about.

All I saw was WHITE FOLKS. Everywhere. Chicago is nearly 40% black. Where were they? It’s a quarter Hispanic. Where were they? I could have been in Jamestown North Dakota for all the racial diversity I saw or more important didn'’t see.

We ran into several friends including our Pastor from the far west suburbs. As large as Chicago is you still run into people you know.

So, my conclusion is the folks who live in Chicago don’t shop in Chicago or at least downtown.

Or, they don’t do Christmas.

Just an observation

No comments: