Thursday, February 16, 2006

Burned up - Burned out

 I went to see a business associate and man I friend last night.  His life changed a couple weeks ago. 
 
His house burned and everything in it.
 
I have never had such an experience. I've had floods.  But not burning.
 
He is upbeat.  That's the kind of man he is.  Neighbors have taken him in.  They will rebuild.  Life is going on.
 
But, as he told me of starting over, a few issues he related shook me.  He has no clothes.  They were all burned. All his wife's clothes.  No shoes.  No suits.  No coats winter or otherwise.  Just the virtual shirt on his back and his wife's. 
 
They aren't broke.  They have insurance.  Insurance is paying for the restoration of life.  But I thought about my shoes.  I would miss some of them.  My passport.  My birth certificate.  My pictures.  My computer stuff. 
 
I guess Katrina was far away for me.  They lost everything too.  But, Burning out completely gave me a start.
 
I admire him.  I might whine a little more than he does.  On the other hand, he reports it's kinda freeing.  I mean all his stuff is gone.  Some was stuff he was happy to see go. 
 
There is an old saying, 3 moves are as good as a fire.  I have moved more than 3 times in 20 years.  But fire seems more permanent and less discretionary.  I don't think that saying is true anymore.
 
Hang in there Randy, you have friends.  I'm one of them.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

In radio there's a saying, "Three moves in a year isn't bad."