Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hearts of Hearts

Feb 14, Valentines Day. This is 43 of them that Peggy and I have spent as sweethearts. 
 
She's still my valentine.  I want the world to know.  But you already do if you read this at all.
 
This morning, after a fast, she took a Cholesterol test.  Before she called me with the results I knew what they were.  Having a prophetic gift is a burden sometimes.  Sometimes I would rather not.
 
Genetics are the problem.  I am out of shape and overweight and have the Cholesterol readings of an athlete.  She is trim but carries around DNA that is against her and is a few straws short of 280. 
 
It's not fair and it's not lifestyle. 
 
She's a tigress.  No statin drugs for her.  She will have to have it monitored.  She is scheduled to go back in a few months. She is determined to do this with lifestyle changes.  If she makes lifestyle changes I will have to as well. Couldn't hurt. 
 
But, I held her last night, thinking of the DNA that created who we are, and thought of a quote a friend of mine uses often, "You can't repent of your DNA". 
 
But maybe we can try.

No comments: