Friday, October 20, 2006

Is Anybody Out There, Does Anybody Hear? - Davd Ruis from Sweet Mercies 1998

Residual irritation.

No names mentioned.

Left over from the last week.

I am convinced that talk radio, politicians, and most people in spiritual leadership (Pastors) are so in love with the sound of their own voice that they find it impossible to hear a word anyone else says. That's what makes these 4 quotes so salient.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when someone asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer."
- Henry David Thoreau

"Most conversations are simply monologues delivered in the presence of a witness."
- Margaret Miller

"Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much."
- Robert Greeleaf

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."
- George Bernard Shaw

This is part of the problem in our country, part of the problem in marriage, part of the problem in politics and a huge problem in the Church.

If you want to have someone hear you out, go find the drunk at the end of the bar. At least he will listen. Maybe that's why so many bars are busier than many churches. Somebody at least seems to care.

What's most painful is that thinking about this has caused me to point my finger of accusation at myself first. I am chief among sinners in this area in particular.

Stop me before I talk again.

OK, YOU STOP TOO!

 

No comments: