Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sweet and Sour isn’t just Pork, and Nostalgia isn’t what I Remember it to be

I’m in Fargo ND, actually I think you can say just Fargo, because to my knowledge there is only one in the whole USA. This is a trip of nostalgia and of remembrance. And some family things layered on top.

So, it’s nice to see people who you knew when and it’s hard to review your life in the same way. Sweet and Sour.

The only two things I did in college that amounted to anything at all were study plants (horticulture) and sing in the concert choir. The relationships and friendships developed there endure to this day. We fought a lot of battles together. It was all worth it.

So, last night I was at the general choir reunion. What is interesting is there were moms who sang in the choir and sons, and soon a 3rd generation. The oldest fellow there was a man from the late 30’s and early 40’s who sang under Van Vlissengen. I didn’t spell his name right. I sang under Van Vlissengen in the early 60’s. That all by itself is weird. But concert choir per se didn’t start until Dr. Robert Godwin came to NDSU in 1957. I joined in 1963. Now it’s 2006. Many of the marriages that took place between choir members have now created kids who sing in the choir.

They sang a few numbers and were fabulous. But disappointing, (sour), there was no one from the time I was in choir to join us last night. Not one. I was there 3 years. Not one Overlap to say Remember WHEN?

So, I visited, ate, was polite and left. Tonight is the “real” reunion. I’m really looking forward to it. I hope it doesn’t go sour. This will be people who sang under Dr. Godwin between the years of 1956-1970.

And, I had forgotten how darn windy it is in North Dakota. I say that every time I come. The wind is amazing. Constant. Inexorable. Buffeting.

So, it is, we press on.

Looking forward to tonight.

No comments: