Sunday, October 08, 2006

It’s Impossible to Keep a GOOD Man Down

I got a phone call that “Dad”, my uncle Earl, who raised me from the age of 13 fell and broke his hip last night. He’s 90 years old.

This isn’t good news. I don’t have a prognosis this side of the veil.

I do have one for the other side for certain.

It’s impossible to keep a good man down. No matter how hard this will be, no matter what happens, no matter when he is able to come home, there will come a day for him when he will run, jump and shout again. He will dance on streets of Gold. He will bow down and get back up without any pain. He will once again be the handsome vigorous man people know him as, even in his advanced years he is still that man.

Oh, there will be some pain between here and there. Certainly those who love him and care for him like his wife Ruth of 65 years will see pain.

But there comes a day when all tears are dried, all pain is gone, all suffering ended, all loss erased and when that day comes as it will for every one of us it is a magnificent thing to know that a place, a mansion, is prepared for all of us.

Some may go and occupy them before I do, or maybe not. But there is one there, in need of a little work, in need of a window fixed; a tree trimmed, a garden hoed. It’s right there around the corner. I think Jesus made it that way just for Earl. I’ll get to see it some day.

We all will.

UPDATE:
Apparently Earl is going to have a ball and socket put in. I got a nice note from Jane Ahlin who I grew up with, her mom had recieved a ball and socket and was up and around in a few days. Probably not doing the Cha Cha but who knows.

SO, it's true, it's hard to keep a good man (or woman) down.

Thanks for the encouragement Jane. Sorry be being just a bit pessimistic. I guess I underestimate everything sometimes.

No comments: