Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ghost Stories

I spent time this morning hearing great stories about how God works in other people’s lives. Lots of people call these testimonies. That is far too religious for me. I believe that calling them Ghost Stories (Holy Ghost) is more relaxed and maybe more accurate.

Besides most testimonies are stories of what a bad old sinner I was and how now I don’t beat my dog anymore. Interesting but not as inspiring to me as how last week something wonderful happened and I saw the hand of God working in a magnificent way in my life.

A Ghost Story.

I love sitting around with other people of faith and hearing and hearing and hearing what God is doing for Good in the lives of these common ordinary people with mortgages and back pain.

Sometimes I have been fortunate to be part of such a group of people and we have done this for hours and hours. Come out of that time together and you feel like NOTHING is impossible with God.

That seems so much better than hearing about old Pete used to do cocaine and gamble and how he doesn’t do that any more. All good, but how about the time when God opened a door you thought was closed in relationship or employment and you knew it HAD to be God because nothing else could have been just exactly like that. That is a real Ghost Story. At this season of Halloween with all the garish and sometimes over the top costumes you see all around and all the decorations that imply the demonic, I love just a simple Ghost Story of the mercy and goodness of God.

Isn’t that really what All Hallows Eve should be about?

No comments: