Saturday, January 27, 2007

Evangelism – The Holy Ghost Atmosphere

Several years ago I was in Tulsa Oklahoma on Business. I had heard on Christian Radio that Rodney Howard Browne, a South African Evangelist, was going to be in Broken Arrow at Rhema Church.

I had been in some other Browne Meetings and wanted to go. I decided to make the trip.

For you who don’t know who Rodney Howard Browne is you may remember him as the Laughing Evangelist. Well, he didn’t laugh much. He pretty much was droll. But his meetings always included outrageous outbreaks of laughter. Why? I don’t know. Joy in the Holy Ghost I guess.

What I do know is in those meetings people responded. I went to two of the nights he was there.

The second night was on a Wednesday. People were howling with Holy Laughter. He was preaching as best he could. It seemed out of order but in a real way it was more orderly than any liturgical service I had ever attended in my younger days. To say you hadda been there is an understatement. And to say that Rodney Howard Browne’s ministry is or has been controversial is also gross understatement.

In fairness I will post an article that will be very critical. I know what people say. But, I always watch for fruit not form. I have seen lots of fruit (even in my own life, I was deeply touched in a Browne meeting when I was Slain in the Spirit for over 90 Minutes). I have never ever been the same. So, when I see and read these critical things I just smile and turn the page. My experience trumps your theology all day long.

When the altar call came, several hardened prostitutes came forward. Several drug addicts and dealers. And some others who would never have darkened the conventional church door or sung a hymn. They needed something real. They needed something that would touch the lostness of their soul.

The pregnant irregular atmosphere of joy in the Holy Ghost during that meeting spoke to the hungry place of sorrow in their lives and they responded with turning from sin and repenting. I know this seems out of line to the people who insist on telling God how to do what he does. They would be offended by Jesus making a mudpie of spit and dirt and smearing on some poor blind man. Sorry Jack. Jesus isn’t impressed by your need for conformity or conventionality.

And it wasn’t what brother Browne said. I don’t know for sure if he spoke or not. I only know that when the power of the Holy Ghost was strongest he gave the call to the altar and people RAN. RAN. RAN. No need for 5 choruses of “Just as I am”. They RAN.

What was that? The Holy Ghost atmosphere was doing the evangelizing. They had all heard it before but not with the permeation of the Joy of the Lord.

One other story. My Son, Tim, lived in Sacramento California for several years. During that time he was invited by some men from a bible study to come to Rock Church with Pastor Nathanial Wilson. The music was good, even great. The preaching was good, maybe even exceptional. People were friendly. That’s true of most decent churches today.

What was different about this was a spirit of expectancy and joy. He (Tim) said that during the singing, during the preaching, during the testimony times on a Sunday Morning or Night people would get up and shout. Some would sit on the edge of their chairs and cheer the preacher or choir or band on. And some would just get up and run a couple laps around the church.

He said that not everyone did this, but some did. He mentioned one, Tom, who was so excited. He had been in horrible sin. Repented and was so completely sold out that he couldn’t contain himself.

Tom, now 15 years later is a pastor of a large church in Washington State. I’ll bet that’s a happening place.

Tim said that every Sunday some of the most hopeless people would come to church. The music would play, the preacher would preach and BEFORE the end of the service people would RUN to the altar and repent. They would baptize them on the spot.

What made the difference? The Holy Ghost Atmosphere. People were hungry, thirsty, wounded and believed that there was an answer in Jesus. When the atmosphere was just so, they would respond.

This isn’t anything you can create or plan for this You can however squelch or stop it’s flow. The key to doing this is having someone fully sold out and able to flow in the Holy Ghost leading the direction of the meeting. If they are there things happen. If a reserved controlled and timid person is leading or trying to lead nothing will happen. So these things are rare.

This is not emotionalism, although it causes people sometimes to become emotional, this is not manipulation, even if one tried it would fail, it is not only among the down and out, I have seen this reaction with millionaires and CEO’s of large companies and leaders of cities. This is what happens when man gets out of the way and the flow of the Holy Ghost begins to happen. It changes people. No one can be in the presence of the Lord and remain the same. Isaiah didn’t. Jacob didn’t.

A powerful move of the Holy Spirit in an atmosphere of expectation and freedom will cause sinners to repent. That’s true Holy Ghost Evangelism. Not by power, not by might but by My Spirit saith the Lord.

No comments: