Thursday, June 07, 2007

Suicide

A few weeks ago a woman Faith Center was brought to me for prayer. Her son had just committed suicide. She was understandably distraught. There were other prayer teams there but she was so upset the usher brought her to me. I usually get the tough ones. He said to her, "You need the prophet to pray for you and give you a word". No pressure you understand.

So I did what I do. I waited on the Lord as I laid hands on her and sure enough the Lord had something to say to her. There was reassurance and encouragement. That's what's so wonderful about the prophetic ministry. I saw her a week later and she was much more settled. A word from God can change your life for the better in a moment.

I hate suicide. I hate it more when it's a christian that is affected. I hate it most when a Christian commits suicide. I am convinced that turning your face momentarily away from Jesus for a Christian is functional atheism. Sin is functional atheism. For a brief moment we act as if there is no God. It's sin but as a Christian it's forgiven. Jesus died for all our sins. Suicide is a sin under the blood. That is not conventional theology but I have had enough involvement in dealing with suicide aftermath to tell you, sin is sin. Jesus died for all sins, no matter if it's a lie, theft or self murder.


What brought this up is a post by John Armstrong and the ensuing comments about the death by suicide of a friend of his. You should read the whole thing.

I don't think we understand the depth of pain that causes someone to take this final step. I am alarmed at the increase in suicide in America. In Japan it's normal. They have no God so the live like there is no God. And, they die like there is no God.

Hope is only found in Jesus, hopelessness is most hopeless when you no longer believe there is a God.

No comments: