Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Baseball Theologians

As long as I am referring folks to stuff I read, three guys who I think are good thinkers and decent (although sometimes off the reservation) theologians from time to time, they all share one thing. An inordinate fascination with Baseball. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Baseball's OK.

So on their respective blogs they all three felt it their ecclesiastical duty to write about the All Star Game played last night.

As a prophet I predicted who would win. Not that it was all that hard. They always do. This time it was close. I didn't predict that.

Steve Scott was there at the game. He will write later about his experience there. You will want to tune in.

John Armstrong who travels every day, leads a hectic life in ministry has time to think about these things.

And, Barry Kolb, true to form takes a way too cynical view of the game. He talks and writes as if he's seen it all before. He hasn't, he has lived a pretty sheltered life. Barry, you have to get out more.

Of course he was at the Disco Demolition on this date many years ago in Cominsky Park. I wasn't. I was living in Fargo then. We burned records too. First Assembly had a record burning because there was backtrack messages from Satan on them. I think our whole bonfire was 11 records.

It's ok to make fun. Sometimes a little overboard is OK. When reality sets back in the center looks better.

Even to make fun of Baseball.

OK, I'll confess. Back in 1990 when I was on hiatus (unemployed and between deals) I decided to attend or watch on TV every single White Sox Game for the whole season. Every One. I did. Every one. Every single one. I got to know Carlton Fisk's crotch real well. Whimpy and Hawk and YESSSS.

I don't watch much now. I fall asleep.

But, Steve, Barry and John, have fun. It's harmless but it does use up brain cells.

You may want to use them again.

1 comment:

Steve Scott said...

Thanks for the plug, Gene. I've always loved baseball and now I see the practical nature of the Trinity imitated more in the game of baseball than any other game or sport. I'll leave an explanation for another day.