Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The permanent weaker brother

 
 
I try hard to be conscious of the weaker brother (or sister).  I don't want to be a stumbling block.  Where I fall down is the man or woman who refuses out of spiritual pride or a religious spirit to grow in Christ.  They can do nothing in Christ Jesus because they don't know him. 
 
1st Corinthians 13 is about spiritual maturity.  You can do all kinds of religious things but if they are done for show and not love they are worthless and demonstrate a person's immaturity.  How do I know? I'm an expert at putting on a good show. 
 
We know that if a little girl of 8 has the head come off her Doll she will cry and run to daddy.  But at 20, or 30?  If every little thing in life is a major catastrophe that's a sign of spiritual immaturity. 
 
Or little kids can pout for a long time about petty things.  But I know people in their 40's and 50's who are upset and depressed about things they should have got over 20 years ago. 
 
People who are big babies at 40 never grew up at 12.
 
Life is tough sometimes.  In Hebrews 11:24-26 it says of Moses (who Jesus revered in the story of Lazarus and the rich man): 
   
It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter. He chose to share the oppression of God's people instead of enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin. He thought it was better to suffer for the sake of Christ than to own the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking ahead to his great reward.
 
HE CHOSE to suffer. 
 
Being a big baby when you should have grown up already has a name.  It's called SIN.  I must confess, if a weaker brother wants to grow stronger I will do everything I can do to help him.  But, if he doesn't want to step out of his weakness, I will do what I can do to offend him to shock him into reality.  Even Jesus was offended with Peter and Offended Peter by saying "Get thee behind me Satan".  I'll bet when Jesus said at the Last Supper "One of you is a devil" all eyes looked at Peter. 
 
Peter wasn't offended.  He didn't go off and pout.  He did stupid things but kept pushing in. 
 
That's my kind of man, weak but trying.
 
I just have little time for the permanent weaker brother.

No comments: