Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Actual Work

Blogging will be lightish for a couple days. I have some actual work to do.

Back at ya in a couple. Stay tuned for some REAL entertainment. Later

Meanwhile a study in contrast:

A blogger of personal acquaintance who's photography skills and descriptive prose are truly extraordinary. I read her blog every day. She is in Washington DC and has visited the war memorials. Her reaction to them is reflective of a political bias she holds. One with which I disagree greatly. On the other hand, it's well thought out and the photography is moving.

Read her blog here, and read the visit to the memorials here.

For a marked contrast is a visit at the exact same time by another person. They might have walked right by one another. His view on the same exact memorial is in marked contrast to hers. Read them here.

It's all a matter of perspectives and it's all fully subjective. There is no absolute truth when it comes to this.

Well, maybe a few, War is Hell, war kills people and breaks things. Some war is essential. Which one is the question.

I wish I lived in an obscure place that had nothing anyone wanted to take from me and no real position of power in the world. Then I too could be a pacifist. However, I'm an American and for that reason eternal vigilance and a posture of power used or unused must be mine or the enemies of all things American would overrun us.

The quote from Lutheran Pastor about pacifism is apt here. If the USA doesn't stand then smaller countries will fall. I'm proud to be an American.
First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945


The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

Small countries enjoy the fruits of this and pick away at it.

I guess that's what a leaders do.


1 comment:

goprairie said...

Is there nothing you can't twist to suit YOUR politics? I say that wars that kill people ought to make us think twice before entering into more wars. The other guy profiles some brave deeds done by survivors of a war. No contrast there. My saying we should not go to war lightly or for stupid reasons does not dismiss the bravery or heroism of those who served, and someone saying others have been heroes does not advocate more war. Stop looking for divisions where none exist. It is because I have listened to friends from WWII tell of attrocities in the camps they liberated and cleaned up and attricities against fellow servicemen and because I have heard friends who are Vietnam vets tell of the horrors they saw or participated in and the horror that is still with them in their minds - it is for those very friends that I AM a pacifist. The war in Iraq liberated no one, it has not made terrorism less, it is not the country that the terrorism that stuck us came from, saddam is long captured and dead, there never was and is not now any reason to go there and it will get messier as we get out and deaths will accelerate on the way out, but we must get out and sooner not later. this does not mean that i do not respect and appreciate the service of all veterans, including those from this iraq war, and it does not mean that all vets are for this iraq war or for any future war. once again, you cannot tell apples and oranges.