Sunday, July 06, 2008

Foreigners seem Strange

Peggy and I were watching the Lakeland revival as we often do. It was wonderful (again). During the worship TV shots of the people's faces were shown. They were passionately engaged. As I watched them I said to Peggy, "I wonder if (I mentioned a close relatives name) would even appreciate or understand this?"

She mentioned a couple more and the consensus was they wouldn't get it at all. Not that they are bad or nonspiritual, it's just that this expression of faith is so foreign to them. It's like watching the Ubangi tribe in Africa jump up and down painting themselves with body paint and acting all different from we mild mannered Americans.

We wouldn't understand what they are saying, they speak a different language, we wouldn't understand what they are doing or why and we wouldn't understand why they are so devoted to the ritual of up and down jumping.

Foreigners seem strange when observed at a distance.

When I became a Christian I became a foreigner to much of the world. The longer I walk in this the more strange to outsiders it all seems. And the stranger I seem.

You can't judge or evaluate the Ubangi's. Don't even try. You don't get it. You won't unless you became a Ubangi.

Ditto being a Jesus Freak. You either are one or you aren't. You can't understand it with your reason or analysis. It's all by faith.
You can't possibly understand. I won't even try to explain. I'll just invite. It starts by leaving your fear and doubt at the door. God says, "Without faith it is impossible to see, please or perceive him at all".

IF you insist on pure reason you'll never come to faith. You'll die and go to Hell. Tough price to pay for insisting on reason.

No comments: