Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pastor's Don't Have ANY Problems

This will be particularly interesting for those who are or who have been a Pastor or work in one of the other 5 fold ministries. Funny stuff from a very good writer, Steve Scott of From the Pew. I read him every day and find him not just clever but insightful. This one is great.

Pastors Don't Have Problems

Sometimes I really envy pastors. They just don't have any problems in their lives to deal with. They know more bible than anybody in the congregation, and their wives know more than any other woman. They have all the answers to all the problems, great and small, enough so to have solved all their own problems. Their children are the most obedient in the church, and know more bible than any other children. They had to pass a list of qualifications in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 before becoming pastors. Pastors who have problems in their lives really never should have become pastors in the first place, because 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 prohibit problems. Since those who have problems aren't qualified to be pastors, well, they really aren't pastors. Who wants pastors with lives full of problems anyway?

There really should be more pastors for today's churches, but there is a severe shortage of qualified people who have no problems. But maybe we're missing something here in not ordaining men who appear not quite qualified. Men who are not quite qualified, but are good enough to be top quality laymen, can be ordained as pastor and have their problems go away simply by being ordained. It's happened before. These men struggle with issues in life, and ask for prayer and encouragement at prayer meetings. Once ordained, their problems disappear and they never have to bring them up at prayer meetings again! This has been known to happen the first prayer meeting after ordination.

I have problems in my life, so I'm not qualified to be a pastor. Sometimes I even struggle with my faith enough to wonder whether I'm a true Christian at all. Maybe I should nominate myself for pastor, and when I'm ordained, all my problems will go away. Then I will know more than everybody else, and can solve my own problems prior to my first post-ordination prayer meeting. Everybody will look upon me as knowing everything (I'm careful here to distinguish between knowing everything and being a know-it-all; there's a big difference) and will line up for miles to hear my wisdom and problem solving capabilities. My wife will love me all the more. I like pastors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I AM NOW THOROUGHLY CONFUSED, AS AGAIN. I AM VERY NEW TO THIS PROPHETIC MOEVEMENT, AND I LIKE IT, BUT I HAVE RESERVATIONS. MOSTLY, I AM CONFUSED AS TO WHO YOU REALLY ARE...ARE YOU A PASTOR, OR A PROPHET, OR ARE YOU BOTH PASTOR AND PROPHET?

IF YOU ARE A PASTOR, WHERE ARE YOU CREDENTIALLED?

AND IF YOU ARE BOTH, OR JUST PASTOR OR JUST A PROPHET, TELL ME... DO YOU HAVE A COLLEGE THEOLOGICAL BACKGROUND OR MASTERS OR DOCTORAL DEGREE IN ANY TYPE OF BIBLICAL STUDIES OR CHRISTIAN MINISTRY?

IF NOT, WHERE DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR SOURCE FOR STANDING IN A POSITION OF KNOWLEDGE IN YOUR MINISTRY?

NEED TO HAVE THIS VALIDATED BEFORE I GO ON WITH THIS SITE AND OTHERS LIKE IT.

AJ

Gene said...

AJ,
First read Ephesians 4.

It identifies 5 gifts to the body of Christ. The Church.

Each of them are part of the function of ministry. Most people who are in ministry are One of the functions predominantly. Unfortunately in the recent past, Pastor has been the only one recognized.

So, in that way I am not a Pastor. I am a prophet as opposed to being an evangelist, Teacher, or Apostle.

I hope you can use your bible to grasp what that all means. Prophets are all thru the bible, particularly in the book of Acts. Use your computer and concordance to discover all of them. Prophet's prime purpose in the body of Christ is to encourage the other parts of the ministry gifts and the Body of Christ.

I am credentialed for many years with the International Pentecostal Holiness Church. IPHC. Look it up.

I have a lifetime of study and I engaged attended credentialing study in advance of being credentialed. I do have a degree. Not a masters or a PhD.

My source is the word of God. If I ever even once countered the Bible I should be dismissed as a prophet at once. That must not be opinion. That must be a precept by precept argument. Denominational opinion has no affect.

I do not operate from Knowledge as much as operating from Revelation. The Spirit of God speaks to my spirit in a still small voice and give me insight that is beyond my understanding. I always measure the revelation by the word of God. It must be precisely in line or it has no value.

Part of what a prophet does (as do I) is process what the word says and by the spirit give insight into the heart of God.

Please do not decide on your acceptance or rejection of the prophetic based on me or anyone else. Some of the most anointed and accurate prophetic voices I know are relatively uneducated.

A good friend of mine with a PHD in Theology was humbled by a man of God who said that his learning was a hinderence to his ability to hear the voice of God.

I believe that is possible.

AJ, I hope you aren't playing games. Read 2 Chronicles 20:20 where it says, Believe the Lord and you will be established, believe the prophets and you will prosper.

That is still the case.

I am simply Prophet Gene as opposed to Pastor Gene, Evangelist Gene, Teacher Gene or Apostle Gene.

I am a prophet. No more, no less.