Friday, October 03, 2008

Are you from Up North??

I have lived in Illinois for the last 23 years. I spoke with a man from Alabama in Business today. He said, where are you calling from. I said Illinois. He retorted, "you're not from there are you, you have a northern accent. Minnesota or North Dakota.

I admitted it. I do sound like I'm from North Dakota, because, well, you know, I am. Born and Raised. I wonder if a person ever loses the accent he grows up with?

This seems a little salient because as I listened to our next Vice President last night, I thought, man Sarah, it would be good to lose the accent. I suspect she can lose it a little, but she will always sound like she does. From Alaska. It's cute, but is it helpful?

But then:

Kennedy always sounded like he was from Massachusetts, Carter like he was from the South, and Bush like he was from Texas.

We better get used to the Alaska accent.

1 comment:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

After I made my first speech at Toastmasters down here in East Texas, the person doing my evaluation said how much he appreciated the clear tones of someone who came from Nebraska. Somethings never change--and maybe they shouldn't...y'all!