Tuesday, February 03, 2009

50 Years ago

It's 2009. A momentous year.

I remember 1959, 50 years ago. Also a Momentous year for me.

First, I remember when Buddy Holly Died. 50 years ago yesterday. It seemed like a big deal. It was.

Then in early May, I donned a white robe with many friends and my cousin Jim Lee. We were confirmed by John Bohlman that spring. I had just turned 14 in March. Had my brand new drivers licence.

Then a few weeks later, a summer day, bad news came by phone from Duluth Minnesota. My parents were killed in a truck accident. Everything changed. We didn't know where we would live as kids. My brother and sister and me.

Summer was hairy. Seemed like every thing was in flux. Steven went here. Susie went there. I went somewhere else.

In the fall Bobby and Bill Velline and the Shadows came to the opera house in Ellendale to play a dance. I was young, but I was learning the guitar. Jim and I went to see him. I knew then that there would come a day when we, Jim and I would stand on that stage with John and a guy who's name I have forgotten to play that same room to a record crowd. My cousin and sister Carol sang Angel Baby.

It was all in all a huge deal.

1959. I talked to Jim tonight. We were reminiscing about how many Lee first cousins are left. How many Redlin first cousins are left. How many have died. 2 Redlin. 5 Lee.

1959, Seems a long time ago and yesterday all at the same time.

Bobby Vee must be getting older too......

No comments: