Monday, February 02, 2009

There Ultimately are NO ATHEISTS

I got an email from a good friend last night. The comment was made that it seemed a bit arrogant for me to make a statement as I posted a question for those who think they are atheist.

I guess that was a Freudian slip of faith speaking. It comes from my spiritual convictions. You see, I know there is a God, his name is Jesus and every knee will bow. Not complicated. Not open to discussion. So, knowing that, I am prepared to explain what the Freudian slip really reveals.

By the way, this friend gave an answer, a good answer, one I accept and appreciated (even if I believe in the error of the assumption that there is no GOD). Not everyone was so gracious when my friend tried to forward the response to the author of the post. Every person goes up or down in estimation over time. This one is drifting downward again despite the nice things I said about him in the post above.

I don't think anyone ends up an atheist. Everyone becomes a believer. Every one. There are no atheists in the end.

NOW, please, I use the Personal Pronoun YOU, not for a person, but in trying to write this, I couldn't make any other pronoun work. I tried ONE. It failed.

Here's the truth of the matter:
One can live their whole life up to the point of death denying the existence of God. Then they close their eyes in death. Suddenly in a moment as conciseness drifts away and spiritual awareness emerges, the reality of God slams you like a brick wall. Either you are astounded on how beautiful it all is, how wonderful HE is or you suffer horrible loss in recognition of His reality and your absence from him.

At that moment you no longer can be an atheist. You don't get to create your own afterlife reality. It is what it is. And you will stand before him. When you do, screaming "I don't believe in you doesn't help". No more than jumping off a cliff and screaming "I don't believe in gravity."

He isn't interested in what good you did or didn't do in life if you don't believe. It matters if you are a believer, you will answer for them all. But denying God means you don't even get to answer the question. Just turned away for eternity.

That's why as I contemplate the moments after death, the truth is God is, you were, and then you are not except for being in or out of his presence in conciseness.

I also believe (here it gets hairy) but I read his book, Romans 1, that you are accountable for the light you have and are accepted in him for the light you respond to. That handles people who never heard the name of Jesus. I also believe that responding in faith even to faulty light with a heart towards God is redemptive. Hebrews 11. I am not quick to condemn people of differing faith. I think they are wrong and deceived, but they are responding to the light they have.

In the end, what did you do with the Christ is the question.

So, to all who are atheist in time, in eternity, there are no atheists. Just believers.

So for me to say what I said in the headline is simply that there is nothing else I could say if I know God IS. To Atheists in time, you think you are an atheist, but you won't always be.

2 comments:

goprairie said...

Statistically, odds are against your version. IF people have souls that outlive the body, you and I will probably both be surprised. It won't be a bit like you expect it to be either. But if people don't have souls that outlive the body, and there is no scientific evidence they do, then neither of us will know because the end for each of us will be the end to any awareness.

Anonymous said...

The nomad in the desert said, "there is no prairie", goprairie !