Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dead Trees fallen in the Forest

I have been a blogger since 2004. December. Five years almost. About 3500 posts on both blogs more or less. I don't have a huge number of viewers but many, some more appreciative than others.

When I first began to blog I asked the mother ship blogger what I should do. She said to write every day. ANYTHING.

I did.

I do.

I post stuff I find interesting. I write what suits my fancy. Or post up.

The net result is I have developed a small following. Not huge. The truth is most blogs are dormant or dead. Here's a truth about the blogosphere most people don't know.

According to a 2008 survey by Technorati, which runs a search engine for blogs, only 7.4 million out of the 133 million blogs the company tracks had been updated in the past 120 days. That translates to 95 percent of blogs being essentially abandoned.
To put it another way. If you survey all the blogs that ostensibly live out there in blogdom, for every 100 you find, only 5 are updated regularly at all.

Now in full disclosure, I have 7 blogs. I update 2 every day, one annually, one never, one occasionally and two that have no value any more. So, I'm nearly a statistic. Some blogs become nothing more than electronic paper piles on a desktop of ideas. I have some of those.

According to this writer of blogs,
he maintains that facebook and other newer formats are replacing blogs. Maybe. Perhaps. I'm enjoying facebook, Thanks Kelly and Karma for pushing me into it although Karma abandoned me as soon as I became a Jesus Junkie on line pushing the ultimate high.

Who knows what the future holds? I'll tell you this much for sure. I have read so few newspapers and magazines in the past few months that there is a clear personal evidence for this....when the last dead tree falls in the forest in homage to them no one will hear.

Their day is clearly over. I'm getting a kindle or whatever is going to be better.

No comments: