Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It was 50 years ago today I was Orphaned

On June 24th 1959 I had been working on a pile of lumber pulling nails. Dad and Mom had taken a load of grain to Duluth MN. Grandma Skoglund was taking care of us.

Late that night I received a phone call from a Dr someone. He asked how old I was. I told him 14. He then told me my parents had been killed in an accident.

It was brutal.

Life turned on a dime in that moment.

Everything changed. Everything. It is of no little consequence when your life turns like mine and my brother and sister's did that night.

I think about what if. This takes nothing away from Ruth and Earl who took us in and raised us. Life has been good. They were wonderful. BUT, what if Mom and Dad had lived. What if.

How would I be different? I don't know.

It's just that it's 50 years ago today. And I wanted to think about it with you.

3 comments:

rolenrock said...

May God bless you today. I know how terrible that must have been but I certainly do not know your suffering. Your situation certainly touches my heart. What a terrible path to have had to walk. Glad you made it. We've work to do these last days.

Anonymous said...

I remember your telling this story of your life -- some years back you told me about your pastor at that time, who happened to be a friend and classmate of mine. God has been with you and for you through 50 years.

WHAT IF? a haunting question. In God we live and move and have our being. He works all things together for good to those who love Him.

Harold

Anonymous said...

My grandmother Ava died when my mom was only 7 yrs old. I know that had my grandmother not died my mother's life would have been vastly different. I would not have been born nor my children. Did my grandmother sacrifice her life for mine? I do not know but maybe.