Tuesday, June 23, 2009

When we don't believe in healing we don't believe in the fullness of the Atonement

We have seen pictures of disciples of various religious traditions that beat themselves with bloody whips in sorrow for their sin. Priests in the middle ages did this. Crucifying their flesh. It was a flawed theology. We get that in our Gospel Message. You can't pay for your own sins.

They believed that the price paid by Jesus on the Cross was insufficient in payment for their sin. So. They add to it by their own sacrifice.

That's the essence of a cult. Jesus PLUS. We certainly all agree that it is an abrogation of the Gospel to think that we can add to or take away from our salvation be the complete work of the cross in the atonement by our personal Crucifixion. If I were crucified today for my sin, my sin goes unpaid for. I can't die for my or your sins.

This is why I reject the idea that because JESUS suffered and died on the Cross at the hands of God's intent WE must therefore be willing to suffer because Jesus Suffered. That argument is not Biblical as I see it.

Of course people do, they were martyred, they suffered. They did so with the understanding that this was a season of life that would end and then there was glory set before them. If we must endure suffering and many of us do, it is with this understanding. It must be coupled with an understanding that this is happening not as punishment, not as some way to crawl up on the Cross with Jesus, not because of our sin or lack of faith. It happens because we live in a sinful fallen world with a devil who hates us and wants to make our life miserable.

We discredit the Father when we say, "It's GODS WILL for me to be in pain and suffering. That makes of our Father a split personality. On one hand blessing, providing, good God and on another hand a child abuser.

Yes, God IS a God of vengeance and fully capable of carrying out his vengeance with violence on his enemies. I know the Old Testament pretty good and can't seem to find evidence of God's violence to his sons and daughters... if they were truly his son or daughter. I only see grace and mercy.

So, while I can see the cross, I can see the pain. I don't see where it is ever GODS WILL that WE are to suffer and die without recognizing who and what causes our pain.

Sometimes it's US and sometimes it's just the world flesh or devil. Even the martyrs who were burned at the stake would testify with their last breath, His Grace is Enough. You know the stories. Grace from what? The will of God?

Think about this and then ask yourself the key question. Is the suffering and Pain I am enduring right now of God or of the enemy? If it's OF GOD then you should try to suffer MORE, it would be more GODLY. Then you would be no different from those who engage in self mutilation to pay an impossible price for their sin.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, I'm trying to help people who suffer lay the blame for their suffering squarely at the feet of the source of their pain .... It's NOT JESUS.

No comments: