Thursday, June 04, 2009

It was Twenty Years Ago TODAY

This has nothing at all to do with Sgt Pepper.

I was in Taiwan on this date twenty years ago. On business. Tiannemen Square became a disaster.

Many of the Chinese people I was meeting with were distraught and upset with what they were seeing 24-7 on Chinese TV. The standoff and eventual massacre by the totalitarian Chinese communist government is a black mark of the soul that has not yet healed.

It was a turning point for China and although since that date China has become more prosperous it has also become more empty of any genuine spirit.

I remember at dinner after the crackdown the tears of my guests. How horrible it all was.

I wonder how far we are from that today in the USA. There is real anger in the heartlands of the USA. I have a feeling this would be different.

What will it take for martial law to be imposed and people mown down by snipers as they were in Tiennamen square.

Santayana's words ring in my ear as I ponder this day.

No comments: