Wednesday, June 03, 2009

WHY I LEFT THE ELCA

I'll never forget the day. Peggy and I had been married in that church. Our kids baptised in that church. I taught Sunday School in that Church. I even preached a bit in that Church. The largest (at that time) ELCA Lutheran Church in Fargo ND. First Lutheran.

Pastor Cole was a good friend. When Peggy and I had problems he was there for us.

But, the day when a pro Choice Doctor got up and stated the position of the ELCA as noted below was the day I left the Church. She said we were going to have a discussion on abortion. What is there to discuss I asked. Abortion is Murder. Plain and simple. No holds barred.

She was more relative. Even though it caused great pain and division even in our family I could not stay in fellowship with relativists.

To this day, conservative solid, non relativist theology is all I can abide. If God said it, that settles it. No compromise.

So, we left. What relativism will get you is the kind of thing Dr Tiller brought to his church as Usher, and oh, by the way, The BTK killer came from this same church.

I think I would find another church. Luther should demand they change their name to.... Oh, I don't know, Unitarian has the proper ring.

From Ann Coulter Regarding Dr Tiller the Dead Abortionist:


Tiller was protected not only by a praetorian guard of elected Democrats, but also by the protective coloration of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America -- coincidentally, the same church belonged to by Tiller's fellow Wichita executioner, the BTK killer.

The official Web page of the ELCA instructs: "A developing life in the womb does not have an absolute right to be born." As long as we're deciding who does and doesn't have an "absolute right to be born," who's to say late-term abortionists have an "absolute right" to live?

I wouldn't kill an abortionist myself, but I wouldn't want to impose my moral values on others. No one is for shooting abortionists. But how will criminalizing men making difficult, often tragic, decisions be an effective means of achieving the goal of reducing the shootings of abortionists?

Following the moral precepts of liberals, I believe the correct position is: If you don't believe in shooting abortionists, then don't shoot one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

taught Sunday School in two different denominations, one Methodist and one Congregational.
In both situations, there was a bulletin board near the the door of my classroom with an a bortion provider listed. Of course I removed the ads, both times and did what I could to teach the kids that God knows us before our parents know we are even on the way.
You would be surprised how many parents would tell there children they were mistakes (but of course in a nice way)