Tuesday, December 01, 2009

How to "Make It" in the Ministry - A prophetic word and Joni Mitchell

Facebook has been an eyeopener for me. Wow. Such ambitions. Such intensity. Such a desire to make it. It's ungodly.

I know a woman from a local church who tries so hard. She is involved in everything ever time the doors are open. She is almost possessive about what she does. To the point of failure.

She is so overwhelming no one else has a chance to do anything if she is involved.

She is a classic case of trying to hard.

It seems like this is an epidemic in ministry today. Trying too hard. Self promotion. Overbearing.

I have deleted some ministries who just became too much. One man in particular who couldn't make a post or an update to status without begging for money. To distraction. I could finally take it no more. Delete.

Then there are the jack of all trades master of none ministries. Only Jesus was gifted in everything all the time. You weren't and neither am I.

Be what you are and let God open the doors. I will speak prophetically for a moment....
Father says, I am not impressed with your efforts, your fasts, your sacrifices, your ministries. I am most impresed when you are focused on ME and respond to what I have placed in your heart.


If you are a biblical scholar you will see that those thoughts come from the Prophet Isaiah

They are also reflected in a song Joni Mitchell sang:

After the rush when you come back down
You're always disappointed
Nothing seems to keep you high
Drive your bargains
Push your papers
Win your medals
mess your strangers
Don't it leave you on the empty side?

All this talk about holiness now
It must be the start of the latest style
Is it all books and words
Or do you really feel it?
Do you really laugh?
Do you really care?
Do you really smile
When you smile?

You criticize and you flatter
You imitate the best
And the rest you memorize
You know the times you impress me most
Are the times when you don't try
When you don't even try


I know offensive word in this song. I know, I know. I edited it a bit. BUT, Joni Mitchell described much of what is going on in many ministries and churches today. I believe in a way if we have ears to hear we will hear it. It's like Father is saying to you:

You know the times you impress me most
Are the times when you don't try
When you don't even try


The best advice I ever received in ministry long long long ago from a Black Pastor were these. They have served me well. I pass them on.

Do less BETTER. Find what God has most anointed you to do. ONE THING. Do that. Local Church. Local area. Connect with ministers and leaders. Be part of what THEY are doing. Stop trying so hard. Let God do his thing. Be steady. Help other people. Don't quit or be discouraged and ONE DAY will find yourself in places and situations you could not have imagined. Embrace whatever God gave you to do and pursue that with diligence. He is the rewarder of those who diligently seek HIM and HIS anointing. Anything pursued in the flesh will fail in the end.


Last, I would say, don't try to find your identity in your church, your ministry or your efforts. It's not about you.

Find out who you are in HIM. Be that. Go where that calls you. He will make room for your gift. It's not about you.

1 comment:

rbb said...

rbb bonus points for referencing Joni.

If I may use an actual John Wooden quote:

Never mistake activity for achievement

================================

Last, I would say, don't try to find your identity in your church, your ministry or your efforts. It's not about you.

Amen