Wednesday, December 02, 2009

United Airlines Breaks Guitars - From New Wineskins

I rarely post e-mails verbatim, but this one is too flat-out good-natured funny not to, especially for this former “1K” (100,000-real-miles-per-year) United flier who now avoids them like the plague. Apologies if I’m late to a party everyone has already attended. Received from a former client:

A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines. United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight. Dave spent many months trying to get United to pay for damages caused by baggage handlers to his Custom Taylor guitar.

During his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice other than to create 3 music videos for YouTube exposing their lack of cooperation. The Manager responded: “Good luck with that one, pal.”

So he posted retaliatory video #1 on YouTube this past July. The video has since received over 6.2 million [now 6.3 million] hits.

United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was: “Good luck with that one, pal.”

Taylor Guitars sent the musician 2 new custom guitars in appreciation for product recognition from the video that has lead to a sharp increase in orders.


Here’s the video for song #1
And song #2:

It can have its downsides, but at its best, alternative media is awesome.

And yes, RB, I thought especially of you when I saw this one.

1 comment:

rbb said...

HA!!

Good stuff unless it was your guitar...CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT???

I broke out my 1975 Don Musser dreadnought this last weekend. OH MY GOODNESS but I do have a great guitar.

I actually got to know him back then. I bought the 5th guitar he ever made. Got to choose the wood, the bindings, even the abalone and then watch him build it in his mom's garage. Yes, in his mom's garage.

That man has a gift.

And now it is mine.

Actually he's doing great. Google Don Musser guitars.

I was a fool not to buy his next guitar. It was a cedar (could have been redwood) top dreadnought. OMG it was so bright and sweet sounding. But I was happy with the one I had and $750 was a lot of money in 1975 so I let it go. I think either James Taylor or Jackson Brown got it. There were a bunch of us who were buddies with and hung out at Norman's Rare Guitars. Another great story, but he had the best and the big fellers knew it and walked through the door regularly just to check out the stuff hanging on the walls and talk secretly about what was in Norm's vault.

The cedar top is worth well over $5,000 now. I guess mine might be as well.

Here's a link to one place that's handling his guitars now:

http://differentcity.com/guitars.php?builderID=004