Monday, March 10, 2008

Blogging is harder than it looks

I don't want to crow or eat it. I blog because I like to. If you like to read it that's good. I do what I do because I want to. I write about what amuses me, irritates me or interests me.

So, if you read this blog, you get a flavor of who I am.

I have many many good and well meaning friends and associates who over the last few years have made attempts at writing a blog. What's interesting is when they DO write it's pretty well done.

It's just that they don't', write that is.

SO, because of all that they are unread.

I just read a pretty good article on why blogs succeed or fail. I agree with it all.

Particularly this:

6) They're not consistent enough. They take days off. Usually, the first sign that a blog is about to die is that the blogger takes time off without notice or for a longer period that expected. Then, it often turns into a vicious cycle. When you're off, you bleed readers and then when you come back, you're even less motivated than before because your readership is smaller, so you take more time off, you bleed more readers, rinse and repeat.

That doesn't mean you can't ever take time off, but what it does mean is that you should try to keep it to a minimum, get guest bloggers if you can, and be very clear about when you are coming back. If your readers start to think you may not show up tomorrow, they may not show up tomorrow either.

If you are a blogger there is good information there.




1 comment:

Jason Nota said...

Interesting article about successful blogs. I guess mine is really unsuccessful because I only post 4 to 5 post a month. For me blogging is a hobby not a career