Friday, March 14, 2008

"Kiss My Rear" Geraldine Ferraro

LaShawn Barber is a Christian Conservative Woman from TN with whom I agree a great deal. When I heard all the uproar over Geraldine Ferraro's comments I found myself in complete agreement with LaShawn.

Of course, if Obama were white he would have been toast months ago. This IS about race.
OH, and one other thing. LaShawn is BLACK. She hates the idea of being called African American.

My kinda Woman. And Kudo's to Geraldine. You go girl.

SO, Here is LaShawn's Column.

Geraldine Ferraro

Geraldine Ferraro, a one-time Democratic vice presidential candidate, recently said that Barack Obama was doing so well in the primaries because he’s black. As expected, it raised a s***storm. People called her a racist and demanded an apology.

I have nothing to say about the substance of Ferraro’s comments. I couldn’t care less who said what and whether the assessment is true. What I do care about is how timid and afraid people seem to become after they speak their minds.

The old saying “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen” applies whenever you speak or write publicly. If you hold “controversial” opinions, be prepared to withstand the inevitable barrage of daggers. Or else keep your mouth shut.

In my case, some people are bothered by the very fact that I exist, let alone what I dare to say in public and write on this blog. I’m proud to say that in my four years of blogging, I haven’t lost one minute of sleep worrying about what people think of me, my words, or my actions.

Back to Ferraro. In a million years I wouldn’t vote for a ticket with her on it, liberal that she is, but I admire her. Race is a very divisive topic, mostly because the people who claim to want an “honest dialogue” about it really don’t. They want to bit** and moan about how racist you are and how you need to give them more stuff to make up for it. Ferraro dared to say what’s no doubt on the minds of many. And here is where it gets good:

Ferraro refuses to apologize!

I do love it so. In response to calls for an apology, Ferraro told the Daily Breeze:

“Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says, ‘Let’s address reality and the problems we’re facing in this world,’ you’re accused of being racist, so you have to shut up,” she told the Daily Breeze of Torrance, California. “Racism works in two different directions. I really think they’re attacking me because I’m white. How’s that?”

I’m with you, sister, and so-called feminists should be, too. Isn’t this what the cause is all about, strong women speaking their minds, rolling with the big dogs, and prepared to deal with the consequences? Hang in there, Ferraro!

This post is dedicated to people who stand behind their public words and actions and refuse to tuck tail and go meekly into that good night. To everyone asking Ferraro to apologize, here’s my advice, expressed in the gentlest way possible:

Locate Ferraro’s backside, and pucker up.

Addendum: I forgot to mention Ferraro’s letter of resignation to Hillary Clinton. An excerpt: (emphasis added:):

“Dear Hillary, I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what’s at stake in this campaign…

No comments: