Thursday, March 13, 2008

Instuments I never learned to play and BAGPIPES

Julie is taking up the Guitar.  I wanted to encourage her.  So I did .  She's a good musician and will do well.
 
While doing so I found myself on the bus to  yesteryear memories of instruments I never learned to play well or at all.
 
I play with some level of competence Trumpet, Guitar (and Bass which is kinda the same thing), piano and harmonica.
 
With less competence but some semblance of order, Violin, zither and mandolin (which I need to take up again). 
 
With attempts and no competence.  Cello, upright bass (fingering screws me up), saxophone (never figured out how to make it sound like anything) and Bagpipes.
 
Ok, the last one is a dream rather than an actual attempt.  I held a bagpipe ONCE in my life at music camp in North Dakota.  A guy had one.  I fiddled and peeped on it.  It didn't seem too hard but I never figured it out. 
 
With St. Patrick's day coming I will enjoy as much bagpipe music as possible.  I know that long ago they used bagpipes at the front of the soldiers who played the warriors into war.  If you were the English (who were always the bad guys in these wars) on the other side of the hill and this onerous harmonic drone came up on the other side with banners and drums it would intimidate even the most fearless soldier. 
 
Sometimes when watching a parade and one of the fine Chicagoland Bagpipe marching bands goes by playing some assembly or another it is a stirring sound. The hair stands up on my neck. 
 
I regret never having learned the bagpipe.  I know it's not too late.  I know all that.  I have lots of other things I'm doing.  We live in a small house.  Peggy still hears too well for me to take it up. 
 
Maybe later in life if you know what I mean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest marching in a kilt and playing the Air Bagpipes?

Curtains drawn of course.

(The chicks dig it!)