Tuesday, April 04, 2006

His Gain is My Loss

I had a friend die last night of a heart attack. He was more than a friend. He was a brother. Brother in Jesus.

I grieve. Not for him, for my loss. He was my age plus just a few years. Never a minute of trouble with his heart. Just here now, then gone. I grieve for this wife. I grieve for his kids. I know there had been some distance between him and one of his sons. That son will feel the pain of this loss more than many.

When my dad and mom died I was only 13. But like a goofy 13 year old I had just had an argument with dad. Then he was gone. Unresolved conflict leaves a scar.

So as soon as I heard about Ken I called my sons. Not for any reason than to make sure that the potential for unresolved issues was settled. They are.

But I’ll miss Ken. I know Marge will miss him more. I also know that even if he could come back again he wouldn’t. For Ken, to live is Christ, To die is Gain. Our Loss, His Gain.

No comments: