Friday, June 09, 2006

I Should Care - or not

Mean Gene is not a big sports fan. I like to watch poker on TV. I will watch the world series every year. And I have actually sat thru a whole superbowl. I never watch basketball except final 4 stuff. So when it comes to guy talk re sports I'm a lost cause. I haven't had anyone doubt my gender however. It seems to survive all questionings despite my total apathy for all things sports spectatorshipwise. Sitting on my butt end for several hours watching others engaged in self actualizing activity is far less satisfying than actually being engaged in self actualizing activity myself. I'm out of the mainstream on this but I shouldn't be.

So, I understand there is some big soccer match this next few weeks. They call it football. I have watched up to 8 minutes of this banality and fell asleep. I would name it running around ball. That's all I see.

I'm not being very international I know. I should be more willing to learn. Bulloney. Come learn poker boys, then well talk.

I do enjoy watching some of the Tennis on TV. Peggy loves it so I go along. Sort of role reversal there. We went to some famous championship something when we were living in Europe. Saw Bjorn Borg. Clapped in unison with the other Germans (they love to do this). And all in all had a decent time. The spectacle of the crowd was the payoff.

I admire people who are avid sports fans. My friend Ken has everything about he KC Royals memorized. Says he learned advanced math by doing some kind of sports statistic calculations in his head. And he proved it. I admire it but couldn't care enough to actually watch most games on TV or even in the park except for the fine food and drink offered there.

So if I Tune in to Soccer (Football) at all it will only be to hear that announcer hold his breath and for a solid minute yell............

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Soccer, or football is really boring to watch. I work in an office with several "chaps" from the UK and my newest employee is from Bulgaria. They're really excited about meeting a pub Saturday morning at 7:00 am - AM! to watch these game. Such a silly sport... ha! Now excuse me while I get all prepped up for going to the NASCAR race in Michigan on the 18th. :-)