Friday, August 04, 2006

Beautiful Hookers

In my recent foray to Atlantic City I was confronted by a mass of hookerdom.

One thing struck me. They were nearly all beautiful women. Stunning even.
The whore you see on TV in most movies is well worn and haggard. This was not them.

Oh they were in business for others or for themselves. No doubt about that.

I have thought about that since. I know prostitution is the world’s oldest profession. (There’s a joke here somewhere but I forget it). I know they make good money. I don’t think when they were 7 years old and grandpa sat them on his knee and asked what they wanted to be when they grew up they said, “Grandpa, I want to make big money on my back”. Grandpa would have had a cardiac.

I know all the socio-economic reasons women become hoes. Don’t bore my by rehearsing them.

What I struggle with is how and why beyond that. Everyone had a bad childhood. When I do talks to mixed groups on family issues I always ask this question, “Who here came from a dysfunctional family”. All hands go up. 100% of the time. We always think we had it bad.

So that’s not it. I look for someone to blame.

I think I know who. MEN!

Not because they patronize them. But because they don’t commit to a ring and a ceremony. Getting it on for $200 bucks is easier. Some would say cheaper.

I think the one hooker that disturbed me most was a beautiful young girl who couldn’t have been more than 18. She gave me a wave and a smile that broke my heart. Why wasn’t she out with a boyfriend rather than selling it? Why wasn’t she planning a wedding rather then planning her next trick? She was so stunning there are a lot of women who could take a clue on the flirt business from her. She had it down. Of course for her it was commerce. Smile for a buck. Or two.

The whole idea that girls make this choice because there isn’t a man who will love and treasure them for the rest of their lives is an indictment of men and not women.

I’m not living in a dream world. This isn’t because I saw the movie, “Pretty Woman”. I know how much a woman wants to be treasured by a man. Valued, esteemed, held up, reinforced, supported, encouraged, treasured.

Men are weenies at being lovers. They don’t get it. Yet it’s so simple. You just find her, then you give yourself to her unconditionally and without reservation. She don’t want stuff, she wants you.

How far is the distance between hookerdom and the loved lover? Tell me, I wanna know.

1 comment:

NodakJack said...

Well, Gene, ol' buddy, it's like we used to say back in Idaho..."It's NEVER, EVER, free!"