Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Tolerance - Acceptance and Respect for Other Belief Systems

Today I was asked a question about what Religious Tolerance is to me. It's a valid question and I attempted to answer it. The text is below. The question rose out of the comments of a couple pastors from Kansas City who were intereviewed here. It's a good thought process and I share it now.

Tolerance and respect and acceptance are 3 distinct actions.

Tolerance says I will not speak out directly against a religion or belief system. For instance, If a person worships rocks, I may think it stupid, but it's harmless and I will tolerate it.

It is harmless in it's action and effect and I tolerate it as such. There are people who are earth worshippers (as the American Indians were) who are out in left field but harmless. Intolerance kicks in for me when it does actual harm. Child sacrifice by a religious sect will cause intolerance to kick in for me. Radical Islam that encourages people in destroying themselves to destroy others and indoctrinates children to hate all non Muslims is not a religion I am tolerant of. I will speak against that as I would some Satan worshipper who snatches kids off the street for sacrifice. I'm not tolerant of victimization.

Respect is another thing. The rock worshipper may be tolerated but I wouldn't respect them. I think they are whacked out. I certainly don't respect religions that I am intolerant of. But Buddhism is a religion I respect and tolerate.

I don't espouse it but it seems to be a sincere innocuous belief system. It doesn't seem to victimize people. Hinduism I'm not so sure of. I think it does victimise people. Radical Islam I certainly don't respect. Islam in it's form as practiced by the Turks is not a horrid religion (albeit the honor killings and some other practices that are beyond the pale). It's aberration of basic humanity that causes me to wonder about where the border between Moderate and Radical Islam is and whether that line is actually drawn. Other cults like scientology I don't respect. I think they are harmful. I can tolerate them.

Acceptance is the last consideration. Acceptance for me is not just accepting that they exist, or that they are harmless or not. Acceptance is that I receive them as fellow travelers. The catholic church is different from the expression of who God is to me, but I accept it. Most denominational churches are likewise acceptable. I can go there and worship and be in harmony with them. It may not be my "Flavor" but without the chandelier swinging or the rolling on the floor but it's still satisfactory. Acceptance. I feel this way about all forms of Catholicism, Coptic, eastern, Judaism (I have worshipped in Temple and like it), Mormonism (I'm not as narrow about this as some), snake handlers (never did it, don't fear them). For me, the issue is always, "what think ye of the Christ". For that reason I don't accept the Jehovah's Witness'. Tolerate and Respect but not accept. The fellowships that hold Jesus as God are fellowships I accept. Jews are looking into the future but they see him coming, just not yet. They are my brothers. Someday they will be brothers in Christ.

The abortive forms of Christianity (Phelps from Topeka of Funeral Protest Fame) is not my cup of tea and I don't respect, tolerate or accept him and his Ilk. On the other hand, I don't think David Koresh was dangerous as the US Government had him made out to be and believe he died wrongly. I think he was deluded. Delusion shouldn't be a capital crime.

Now, as to the article. I read it. I frankly am not quite as middle of the road as these fine gents are. Respectful and Tolerant but not Accepting. I think you have to take a stand. Some things are just wrong. If Hitler was to raise his head again do we say, "well, let's just tolerate and respect him?" I think we must war against evil as we see it. It's childish to think that if we ignore evil it will go away. That's why we used to put the covers over our heads as kids or hide under the bed. Those who somehow believe it's not our duty to stand down evil in the world today and just leave them alone are not facing reality.

One last thing. What about people with no religion? Agnostics. Atheists. Passive. Non-Practicing. How do I feel about them?

Tolerant - YES (no one can force anyone to believe or not believe so I tolerate)

Respected - NO I don't think in the end it's possible to be on no side of this issue. The great prophet Bob Dylan Said: "You Gotta Serve Someone". I think anything that is not clearly on one side of the fence is on the other side. There is no middle ground. As the earth goes thru the terror and trembling it is going thru right now the capacity to stay neutral is becoming less and less possible. I just may not respect one who is trying to stay out of the battle out of some ilfated desire to hide in the closet.

Accepted - NO If I think people need Jesus (And I DO) I am not accepting of anything less. I won't beat you about the head and shoulders but I will do all I can in all ways and in any language so as to persuade a few. I care too much about what it means to come into a genuine living relationship with Him be passive or accepting of anything less.

So, if you or anyone is offended by me or my persistence and determination, I'm still the same Gene, I'm still crazy after all these years. I've just come to a place where the day I see so clearly when I will step from time into eternity (which we all will) is will be a glorious day that if I'm fortunate enough and living the way I want to be living in Him I will virtually not notice the change. I want to live like this. I know I can.

I stumble, I do dumb things, but I live in a continual state of grace that allows me to walk in boldness and confidence that makes me less and less tolerant or accepting of a second rate life for anyone willing to take a peek at what I see beyond the veil for this side of the Age.

ONE MORE THING:

As a prime example of appropriate intolerance, below are links to another blog and a video (very long but worth the look) to help you understand what I am intolerant of. Radical Islam is EVIL. Long and Short, that's the truth. Get out from under the covers. They are to kill you and your kids. They are out to destroy your way of life.

Read this and you will see. Watch it and you will feel.

There is no room for tolerance in this except for fools.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As Kinky Friedman would say " May the God of your choice bless you".