Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Anger yet without Sin

Ephesians 4:26-27 (New Living Translation)

26 And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 for anger gives a foothold to the devil.

I have a confession to make. I sin.

Anger is one of those sins. I can get testy. Today I am repenting publicly of two.

First, I forgive the Bears. I didn't burn my tee shirt. I still love Lovie. Rex Grossman will make a great quarterback (someday). Everything I said was wrong and said in anger. The devil make me do it. That's what the verse says doesn't it?

I'm joking of course. No, Flesh. I still have to carry this carcass around wherever I go. It rises up. So does yours. Then, the Spirit gets me back under control and I'm OK again.

The second, less joking, I was pretty hard and bitter towards Molly Ivins when she died. I should have been a bit more careful. Today I deleted both posts. I have archived the whole thing but frankly it was bad form to go off on her so hard.

So, if you really want to know what I said I can email it to you. I suggest you don't.

My ministry credentials come from a conference of the IPHC called Ephesians 4 Network.

Much of that whole thing has to do with the ascension gifts of Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher. There is a couple verses in Ephesians 4 that I need to consider. They are above. I am capable of anger. I am capable of generating anger. I am not afraid to speak my mind and really not afraid if I am operating under the gift of God that is in me.

That doesn't win many popularity contests. I didn't enter any. But, for the most part my anger is directed at the works of the Devil. If you read my blog you see what I mean. Lying. Scheming, Fear. Revelations 21:8 stuff.

Leonard Ravenhill was capable of being Angry. He was a friend and mentor of Keith Green and a prophet to David Wilkerson. In the Last Days publications he was quoted often. One of the missives he provided was on being angry and sinning not. It is still good reading even though it's over 20 years old. Brother Ravenhill is long gone. He could be very angry and still not sin. I guess it came from a time he asked the Lord to show him his sin and it so mortified him he never actually recovered.

I wish I had his mantle. Maybe I will yet.

No comments: