Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Happy Birthday Week

This seven-day period has birthdays of note for me.

On the second if I have my dates right was the date of birth 91 years ago of Ruth Redlin who came and held 3 siblings together under one roof after the death of their parents. My brother, sister and me. I am grateful and want to wish her a happy birthday.

Today, the 6th of Feb is Ronald Wilson Reagan’s birthday. That’s probably not a red letter day for some but it’s one for me. He saved America in many ways. We need another Reagan.

Tomorrow, February 7th about 9AM in the morning Peggy and I rushed off to the hospital 40 years ago. When after a few days we returned it was in the possession for too brief a time of a baby boy, Tim. He has been a wonderful son. Now as he transitions into what is defined by many to be middle age I couldn’t be more proud of anyone than I am of him.

  • Served a full term in the Air Force
  • Graduated from North Dakota State University
  • Works as a contractor to this day
  • Married to Raquella and has 3 great kids, Brian, Shalisa and Jaxon.
  • Is a better theologian than his father and a peer as a teacher

I don’t know how he could possibly be 40 years old. I mean, I was 40 only a couple years ago, wasn’t it? No, it was nearly 22 years ago. Yikes.

I guess it’s normal to be proud of your kids. I am of mine. They certainly didn’t inherit much of what they accomplished. I haven’t helped them much. I have tried to let them sink or swim on their own. Some sinking has taken place from time to time. Swimming has then proceeded.

So, I’m happy to say to Timothy Alan Redlin, Happy Happy Birthday Son.

May you know all the joy of the Lord in your life till we both meet on the other side.

Life is good, live it.

3 comments:

Dr. Barry L. Kolb said...

I know the feeling--when son turned 30--I thought--how could it be when I was only 30 myself! Then--when my grandson turned 18--the feeling was the same. Thanks for the passage of time in Jesus' name! You are blessed my friend!

Anonymous said...

You may have to extend your "birthday period" to ten days. On January 30th Max turned 62 (oldest member of our class?) and on February 1st I became eligible for Social Security. Long live SS! (Keep your fingers crossed) Congrats to you and Peggy - sounds like you got a good one.

Anonymous said...

You young whippersnappers! Talking about being old? Here I am past the fourscore years of which the psalmist speaks, and I have a beyond-60 year-old son-in-law and there is no sign of a great grandchild in sight! How shall I tell the good news to my children's children's children, when he/she isn't here yet? Oh, I think the word stops at 'children's children'?......h.h.