Friday, March 09, 2007

Are you a Christian? No I'm Lutheran

Before you think that's an inflammatory remark it is the answer I got YESTERDAY to that question I asked of a man I met with.

This is a man of my acquaintance who I was in a three hour conversation with regarding a business deal and since I am pretty "out there" witness wise the question always comes up in conversation at some point.

This is a nice man, loves his wife, pays his bills and votes Republican. He attends one of of the oldest Lutheran Churches (Mo Synod) in our area. He attended Lutheran High School in an adjacent town. Cradle Lutheran.

It was just a little startling to hear him say what he said. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't mean what he said, or he misunderstood or he was unclear in the question. On the other hand Im convinced if you asked a hundred old-line Lutherans born, baptised, raised, confirmed and church members over 50 years old I suspect you would get this answer in the title of this post more often than not.

Many years ago while attending the International Music Camp in North Dakota near the Peace Gardens, I was asked upon registration a question about my religious affiliation. (You could then, This was pre ACLU.) The question was, " Are you a Protestant"? Having been born, baptised, raised and confirmed a Lutheran I answered NO. A few days later I was awakened by one of the counselors to get me up for Catholic Mass. I protested "I'm not a Catholic". He was puzzled. Then it was discovered that I had not answered yes to the question it was assumed etc.......

My identify was not in Jesus, it was Lutheran.


Who or what are YOU identified with or by? If that question is asked of you, how do you identify yourself?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Christian.

Anonymous said...

Before Acts 11:26, they could say, "I'm a follower of the Way". Or, "I am a believer in Jesus of Nazareth as the Mesiah, Son of God and Savior" ..... Around a certain area in Indiana or Texas one might ask me, "Are you a Christian?", and they mean a member of "the Christian Church " (a denomination there). A person might then answer, "no, I'm a Lutheran" or "a Methodist", or "Baptist", and hopefully witness to Christ. ........ Even, to answer, "No, I'm a Christian", doesn't cut the mustard. "Christian" needs so much explanation and proper testimony today. I can answer, I would think, with the name of the group, assembly, or congregation with which I have fellowship, but I would create an opportunity for a good witness to Jesus Christ and the saving Gospel.