Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sometimes it's Better to Quench that Hot Iron

The controversial Antonella Barba was recently kicked off American Idol and was interviewed after being ejected for lack of talent and not for what racy pictures revealed about her. In it she made this comment:

She'd like to have an image in the future that is "more classy," she said.

Having said that, she didn't rule out posing for Playboy. At first she said she wouldn't, but then a reporter asked if she would "absolutely not" ever appear in Playboy.

"I want to look at all the offers that I get," Barba answered. "I'm definitely not opposed to [thinking about] other offers, whether it's acting or modeling or something.

She added, "I want to strike while the iron's hot."


American Idol is a show I have NEVER watched even one time. I just can't get interested in a TV show that includes people deluded about their talent and snarky pseudo-celebrities making fun of them. I graduated from the 8th grade. I'm over that kind of preadolescence fun making.

In the 70's my wife and I traveled South America with a group. During that time I got to know a multimillionaire who was traveling with the rest of us. He had built a successful chain of Drugstores in the northeastern USA. He had sold them out to what is now CVS. His millions was allowing his wife and him to take this expensive and extensive 6 weeks around the southern continent.

I had ample opportunity to listen to him, hear what he said and learn all about making millions. Some of what he said has proven to be true, some was suspect.

He claimed was a key piece of wisdom was the power of expediency. In millionaires expediency is striking while the iron is hot. Act now. That's good if you are quick at assessing.

The problem is some hot irons in life turn out to be hot potatoes. And if you strike too soon you end up holding that hot potato for a long time. I have not made as much money as my acquaintance. But I have done OK.

I have worked with hot Iron. I have blacksmithing skills. I know that sometimes when Iron is white hot if you work it you will get a form but not strength. Sometimes the thing to do is do a little work or maybe none at all and then quench the iron. It hardens it up. It allows for a firmer set of an edge. Not all hot irons should be struck some should be quenched and reheated for another run at form.

I could be wrong and I think MS Barbar is wrong if she thinks that the Iron of Fame is hot and it's the iron she wants to strike now. She would be better off quenching this hot iron. Figuring out the form she wants in her life and reheating.

She's young, this won't be the last pass if she's made of good mettle (metal).

No comments: