Monday, March 05, 2007

The Holidays just aren’t what they used to be

Today, March 5 is Casismir Pulaski day. It’s a state holiday in ILLINOIS. When we moved here we were puzzled. Kids had the day off, banks closed, no garbage picked up, why there was even a parade in a few polish communities. Coming from North Dakota there was nothing like this there. I had never heard of Casimere Pulaski. FYI - He was the first Non American killed in the revolutionary war on the American side. You can read all about him HERE.

Now, 21 years later it’s not nearly the holiday it used to be. Kids still get the day off for Pulaski's day. But otherwise it’s like every other day.

I don’t think they even have a parade anymore. That’s what assimilation will get you.

In any case, I didn’t even put up my Casimir tree and decorate it with pirogues. I think I’ll have red beets for supper. That’ll be the extent of my exuberance. On the other hand, he was and is a part of our history, he helped win the revolutionary war and there is a stature honoring him in Washington DC with him gallantly sitting abreast his mighty steed. Freedom is won by spilling the blood of patriots, even if they are polish. Come to think of it, if my people hadn't moved out of Pommerania before it reverted to present day Poland I might well be celebrating Casimir's day more seriously.

Happy Casimir Pulaski day, may he rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know Polish ( not the language). My Dad was born in Poland, though a German family--back there in 1888. He learned Polish in schools and on the streets, and German in the home, and then English when he came to the U.S. , with an accent. He preached in three languages. I grew up in a Polish community -- but it was not Rom. Cath. Ever hear of Polish Lutherans-- eating pirogies(piroshkis), all that stuff they made from pork, and of course Polish dill pickles. They were a hardy folk, with great work ethic, and were also good Lutheran Christians, these people whose names all seemed to end in -ski. Some quirks in history kept Poland from becoming Lutheran like Germany. Of course, today, there are few legitimate Gospel-oriented Lutheran churches in Germany. The Lutheran church building in Gostynin Poland, of my father's time, is now a museum! Just like so many churches in Europe. Have mercy, O God!