Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cinco de Mayo - Phooey. Where's the Lefse?

Today is a huge holiday in certain parts of the country. Growing up this was big on my Mothers side. Going to church at a Norwegian Lutheran Church in Fargo (where Peggy and I were married) this was a sacred day.

Oh, sure, in the USA we fire off fireworks on the 4th. Every ethnic group has holdover memorials from the old country. Funny, I don't remember any particular celebration of the 4th when we lived in Germany. I guess the USA is the new country yet.

In any case today is  Settende Mai. Norwegian Independence Day.

If we were back in Fargo there would be Lefse with butter and cinnamon and sugar on it. Rommegrot and lingonberries (which I like very much). And transparent coffee. Seems like if you can't see the bottom of the cup it's not right. Compared to real coffee it always seemed like warm water. Even Peggy's mom likes it transparent today. Why bother drinking it was always my question.

So, eat your lefse today. I already did.

To my friend Barry, If you were in MINOT right now you would be in Norwegian Heaven.

Glade Konstitusjonen Dag

Mange Dak

1 comment:

Julie said...

I, however, frequently brag that I have zero percent Scandinavian in me. None at all.