Wednesday, May 16, 2007

More Kevin Tales

Once Kevin was in Hawaii with the family. We went to see the big volcano on the big Island. We were warned NOT to stray. That we could be eaten by Pele.

An hour after the bus was to leave Kevin having inspected the bowels of the caldera returned to a relieved tour director and parental units. He was puzzled why descending into the volcano was a problem.

Once Kevin and I were in Ixtapa Mexico together on vacation. We took a boat tour to a windswept island somewhere out in the Pacific. We went for a walk. He went further. An hour later I discovered he had scaled the side of the shear ragged cliff in his sandals and inspected the wash out tidal caves the pacific carves out. I was trying to figure out how to tell his mother that I had killed our Son. But then he shows up.

Once Kevin after visiting us in Germany and we were set to return to the states decided to stay behind for a more extensive tour of Europe. He was 18. He took his rail pass, everything that would fit in a 2X2 backpack and set off for Vienna and Prague CZ. He was gone 10 days. No word. He only had a few hundred bucks on him. Then, on the appointed day, with no confirmation I was at the airport and he shows up with a "WHAT" smile. I should have known he would navigate all by himself all over Europe and return safely. I should have known but didn't.

He is an amazing man. No fear.

One more. The air control system on his car was broken. He makes no claim to being a mechanic. But he knows how to read a book. So, he took a book, studied it and took the dash out of his car, repaired the faulty part and replaced the dash without help. I wouldn't tackle such a task.

With just a book he replaced a water pump on a Chrysler 300 convert once too. He doesn't claim to be a mechanic but his opinion is, "How hard can it be, if a mechanic can do it, so can I". That's Kevin. Can do it.

His mom calls him Heavenly Kevinly. Could be true.

I'm just proud of him.

No comments: