Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cold Wave

I know the right thing to say at a time like this is, Baby it's Cold Outside.  47 degrees.  Yesterday 75, day before almost 90.
 
Oh, it's not winter yet. No frost to speak of in the forecast.  It's frozen in Dakota according to the news.
 
But it's cold (er) here.  The weather changed.
 
Sometimes that's the way it is when it turns cold.  One day it's hot and then boom, reality bites, I just need to see things for what they are.  One reality I just came to grips with is this: You can haul a stiff frozen horse to water but he'll never drink a drop if he's cold and dead.
 
Only living breathing horses drink.  Dead ones never experience thirst.  No matter how appealing you make the water tank, no matter how often you show them the water, no matter what you do in demonstrating how good the water is, they won't drink.  Dead horses can't drink.
 
If that old mare is alive and thirsty you will have to fight to keep her from drinking.  She'll knock that fence down to get at the water.  I've been around thirsty cattle, they'll kill you for a drink.  They'll have mad cow disease till they get a drink.  They will beller and moan till they get water.  They are desperate.
 
I've been futilely leading dead frozen livestock to places where they can drink deeply and finding myself disappointed when they don't.  How dumb can I get and still  breath.  What made me think this was even possible?
 
Face it Gene, the season changed, the weather turned cold.  They're frozen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

score 1 for the frozen chosen - sad