Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Song in the Night

I woke up this morning and this song was rolling around. I don't know why it speaks to me so clearly. It just does.

Particularly these verses:

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.

To think that Charles Wesley wrote this just a year after he was converted. What a profound understanding of his salvation.

Maybe that's why Oh for a Thousand Tongues to Sing is such a great hymn for me.

I've been reading hymns lately, Oh, I love Hillsong United and I know Jesus is partial to a band consisting of 4 guitars, 2 drummers, 2 keyboards, 3 singers, a sax, 5 banner wavers, radical pyrotechnics and a good light show all played at "11" on the sound system.

But sometimes the words of a great hymn reach me in places I need to be reached.

2 comments:

Steve Scott said...

Hymn #76 in our old hymnal. We got new hymnals and I'm all messed up. "Hear Him, ye deaf, praise Him ye dumb, your loosened tongues employ; ye blind behold your Savior come, and leap ye lame for joy!" That's one of my very favorite verses in all of hymnity.

Anonymous said...

There is not only salvation truth in Wesley's stanzas, but a call to the unevangelized world: "Look unto Him, ye nations, own Your God, ye fallen race. Look and be saved through faith alone, Be justified by grace", and, "See all your sins on Jesus laid; The Lamb of God was slain; His soul was once an offering made For every soul of man." ...... H.