Saturday, December 15, 2007

Old Skills Lost Arts

 I used to be a pretty good welder.  USE TO BE!  I was once a certified welder in my early 20s.  Took the test.  Even worked in a welding shop in West Fargo for a while.
 
I enjoyed it a great deal.  Still do if I were to weld, which I seldom do any more.
 
Today I had to do some repairs on the old Snowblower.  It's snowing felines and canines.  Piece of cake repair, or should have been.
 
Snowblower 18 gauge metal.  Bracket I need to weld on: 10 gauge. 90 amps, 3/32nd 6013 rod, should work.  Vertical welds.  Not a problem.
 
I forgot the one thing I should have remembered.  You weld into the heavier metal and draw out the pool to the lighter never actually placing the arc on the lighter materials.  Welding 101.
 
I know that better after I blew a nice hole thru the 18 gauge.  Oh, I got it fixed, It'll hold.  It's not the prettiest weld I ever made. 
 
But, It's funny how you forget.  I would flunk that welding certification test today.  I don't have a welder, have to borrow the neighbors.  If I had one I would use it about as much as I do my skill saw.  Occasionally. 
 
I do love the look of molten metal thru the lens of a welding helmet.  It is a thing of beauty.
 
I have a metal sculpture I want to do made of old garden tools.  I've been putting it off for a long time.  It's time. 
 
Tomorrow, or maybe next week or in the spring.
 
Or next time the snowblower needs repair.

No comments: