Sunday, December 16, 2007

Big Money Religion

I am involved in several ministry ventures.  Either as a supporter or directly.  Most of them are broke or near broke all the time.  That's what attracts me.  When a ministry is nearly out of money they need the one thing ministries always benefit from.  More faith. 
 
I know of or have been part of Churches who have more money than they knew what to do with.  Millions in the bank.  One such was a pastor who when he was complaining that the spiritual atmosphere had cooled off in his Church and was wondering what happened, was startled when I gave him this advice.  Give all your money away.  They had millions on deposit given thru endowments as people died.  The problem was it changed the faith atmosphere.  The money was there, faith wasn't.
 
This is true of pastors too.  One good man I know lived a higher level of faith as a pastor when his only "Support" was from people who left money around the house and when he prayed money came because God saw to it.  Going on a regular salary changed his faith walk.  His reasoning was, I have a family and obligations, don't I need to meet them as a witness for Jesus.  My answer was, it's a bigger witness if you meet them by faith in God and prosper that way than taking a salary.
 
Having a Salaried Ministry may be oxymoronic.  If Peter the disciple of Jesus, when Jesus said, "come follow me" had asked, "What's the financial package I can expect if I follow you?" we wouldn't read about him in our Bibles today.  He would be only a footnote like the rich young ruler is.  Negatively instructive of faithlessness.
 
Many say, "I will do whatever God asks me to.  I will obey immediately".  But, they are tangled up in worldly security, won't and don't.  I don't speak from theory.  I have more than once done this.  Taken a huge step of faith and had to live by the grace and provision of God.  He's never failed me.  I've been thru things but sometimes stepping out in faith is the best financial package you can imagine.
 
There is a Church in the Chicago land area built by the Huizenga family, the man who owns the football team the Dolphins.  This Church building is a beautiful edifice.  It has lots of attendees.  It's sadly just lacking the one thing it needs to make a difference in the community, FAITH.  The people are unchallenged. Therefore they are unmoved.
 
Without faith it's impossible to please GOD. 
 
Saturday Morning at our Scheduled Prayer Meeting at the Church the men there were praying for unsaved loved ones. 
 
The prayers became prayers of faith.  That translated into praying the prayers the Prodigal's father must have prayed.  "Lord, send my son quickly into the pigpen to eat pea pods so he comes home to me soon".
 
My prayer for churches in America that need to come home is, cause much trouble, bankrupt them, cause them to suffer until they come home to the Father.  Then we can have revival.
 
That was the same prayer we prayed for our loved ones Saturday Morning.  "Lord, whatever it takes, pain, misery, trouble, illness, marriage problems, financial reversal, Lord allow that to happen to my loved ones so they come to you". 
 
No more building a hedge of protection around them.  Get'em Lord, Get'em. 
 
I was once told by a prophet of God to stop interrupting his plan to redeem people from the pit by his grace and cause people to come to him because I had the financial means to do so.  He rebuked me pretty hard, God said, "I am about to reach a person who I have called to be my own, and you get in the way with your money and influence and bail them out.  Your Merciful gift is getting in the way of my call placed on their lives."  I'm less merciful today. 
 
Sometimes in life what looks like a bag of snakes ends up being a huge blessing and what looks like a gift from god (small g) is a curse we didn't expect.
 
If you are in ministry and broke or if your ministry is broke, thank him in advance for providing all you need.  He did promise.  Thank him at the promise.  If you wait till he provides to thank him, he may never do it.  Having a heart of Thanks in need releases the provision of God.
 
That was a prophetic word if you didn't already figure it out.  Now go and do what the word says.

No comments: