Saturday, December 22, 2007

Southwest Airlines Soars in my Opinon (again)

I read the story to Peggy from the Sun Times today. It choked me up so badly that I could hardly finish it. I don't know why, except people showing extraordinary compassion and wisdom is always a tear jerker for me. My belief in mankind (that wavers sometimes) is helped by such a story. Oh, and by the way, I almost always fly Southwest. I'm more committed than ever. I wish I could manage a company like Herb Kelleher created.

Read this:

SOUTHWEST SOARS
Daughter gets chance to bid Dad goodbye

I have a great story about a company with true compassion. A story about employees who are empowered to make decisions on the spot and a company that supports those decisions.

My husband was a businessman who traveled five days a week. He chose to fly Southwest Airlines because of their convenient flights, on-time record and exceptional customer service.

As spring break approached, my daughter and her college friends booked a "package deal" to Las Vegas with another airline. Halfway through her trip, my husband had a heart attack and was taken to surgery.

Sadly, there was so much damage, we were told he would survive only a couple of days. I called my daughter, explained the situation, and she headed for the airport to get the first flight home.

The "package deal" provider told her it would be no problem, they could put her on the next flight -- for $856. She was frantic, as she did not have enough money to pay for the flight.

She approached the Southwest Airlines ticket counter and talked to the customer service representatives. She told them her dad only flew Southwest, and now he was dying and she was trying to get home to see him one last time.

They jumped into action and offered free tickets to whomever would give up their seat. A seat was obtained and she was on the next flight home . . . at no charge! Once she arrived at Midway Airport, a man holding a sign approached her. He was a driver who would take her to the hospital, all arranged by Southwest Airlines!

Although her father died the next day, she was able to say her final goodbyes.

Extraordinary story? Yes! Extraordinary company? Yes! Yes! Yes! I will forever be grateful to them for their kindness during our darkest days. Their kindness affected the rest of my daughter's life, as she had the time to say goodbye to her Dad, who she loved so much.

Southwest Airlines and their employees have the best customer service around. They are allowed to think with their hearts and not always worry about the bottom line. Can it possibly get better than that?

Laurie Gustafson, Hickory Hills

No comments: