Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thanks Timing

In a previous post I spoke of the importance of avoiding the cynical attitude of doubting God by saying or even thinking "We'll See" when God proclaims something over your life.

It's all about timing as to when we will give thanks.

Example:
Let's suppose I am short of cash. I need $10,000 to cover some bills I must meet. I go to my friend Rick and ask him to lend me the Ten Grand for a while. I know he has the ability to do so. Upon my request he says, "I'll wire the money to your account today". I know Rick, I trust Rick, I know he can do what I have asked, I know he will do what he says if he says he will. What is my response to Rick when he says "I'll wire the money today". Of course I would say, THANK YOU upon his word of promise and live in the full expectation of his fulfilling what he said he would do. If I said "We'll See" it would be an insult to him, to his character and to his word. In fact, if I said We'll See I might get a response from Rick which amounts to Fuggidaboutit. My faith and thankfulness is an important part of the fulfillment of the promise Rick makes.

If I were to wait and see if he really does it and then after he does say "Thanks" I wouldn't be surprised if he did nothing at all again or even that time if he knew my heart. That's what the We'll See attitude demonstrates; a lack of any faith I have in Rick.

We treat God as if we don't believe he would be as faithful and true to his word as Rick would be. How does God feel about our lack of faith in Him?

As faithless Christians we have no lack of willingness to say, We'll See to God's promises or even to seeking after them. For that reason we live outside the covenant of God as foreigners without hope in the world. No word from God. No bread of life. Oh, we might see heaven but we'll live like Hell on the earth when that was never God's intention toward us.

If our response to his word is "We'll See" he won't bother. I don't blame him. Why should he do marvelous things for people who are faithless and thankless? He never did before, Jesus only responded to faith. He never changes.

It's our thankfulness that releases the blessing of God in our lives. The "We'll See" approach of faithlessness means that person lives without the manifestation of the promise of God in his life.

James the Brother of Jesus said it best:
Chapter 1

6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

When you say, We'll See, you are being double minded, wavering, driven by circumstance, tossed about, unstable and without faith. Let that man not think he will receive anything of the Lord.

I don't know how to say it any more clearly. Now that you have the word of the Lord, what are you going to do with it? "We'll See" is a death sentence to the Promise of God in your life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

or worse yet...

"He came, He saw, he left"