Monday, March 24, 2008

Knowing too Much About a Person is a Problem OR Why no Man is a Porphet in his Own Home Town

I tend not to be much impressed with people. There are few who really ever bowled me over.  The problem I have is, I see them exactly as I am.  One leg at a time pants putter-on-er's. 
 
Once in a Psychological Test I took the analyst said, "WOW, you are really low on the Yellow in your Child".  I said, "great, what does that mean"?
 
He went on to explain that I am not much impressed by status, position, celebrity, importance or elected position.  In me (I'm not much of a status seeker) or in others.
 
I guess it's true.  I don't drop many names although I sure could.  IF the President was across the street I might or might not make the effort to go see him.  I like him, but why?  If Obama was at my front door I probably wouldn't shake his hand.
 
I'm not easily impressed.  And, I don't care if people are impressed with me.  It's who I am.  Low status appreciation. 
 
That's a strength and weakness.  See earlier post about hinges to see what strengths and weakness looks like to me and to others.  I might see this as a strength and you might see it as a weakness.
 
What brings this up is I have several friends who are pretty big stuff to most of the world. They are authors.  They are media types. Public persona's that won't quit.  People who many think are "Really Something".
 
All good I guess.  But, I know them.  I know them well.  Really well.  For that reason I suspect, I am not that impressed. 
 
There have been books written by people I didn't know who are perhaps just as humanly flawed as the ones I do.  But, because I know them I read their books with sufficient awe and respect. 
 
This is silly.  I should look past the person and look towards the wisdom of which they wrote.  But it's hard.  I like Shakespeare a great deal, but what if I had hung out with him?  Would I still stand in awe of his marvelous prose?
 
I think Jared Diamond does a great job, but what if.
 
I won't name my friends who are writers and media types.  It's not important.  I will only say this.  Sometimes when people know me personally and have a hard time understanding or appreciating something I write or publish I guess I understand.  Turnabout ends up being fair play.
 
I'll go a little spiritual on you.  The one who the better I get to know the more in awe of I am is Jesus and HIS book.  Honestly.  I'm amazed.
 
I wish I could get past the person and grasp the purpose by which they write.  No man is a prophet in Gene's home town either.
 
I think for that we are all poorer.  Pity.

No comments: