Friday, May 16, 2008

Concerns

I haven't been in an earthquake and  lost children like tens of thousands have in China. But, My computer seemed to crash and burn last night.  Then I administered the Gene repair system.  While trying to start it I gave it a hard whack on the bottom and it fired up. 
 
I haven't been in a typhoon and been wiped out facing disease and starvation but the transmission on my car went out.  I'm almost two grand poorer because of it.
 
I'm not facing prison like a friend of mine might be today but I do have some things going on in me that are concerning. 
 
I'm not rebuilding my home after a tornadoes like some are in the south but I am worried about getting a load out the door today and making sure that I have the right configuration of the load I am picking up for someone else. 
 
Not everything is perfect in my life right now.  In fact I'm not where I want to be but my concerns are pretty shallow compared to the world. 
Sometimes perspective is the best mediator.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

If anyone could do a little boasting, it was Paul. Remember the context of this passage? Paul had just returned from an all expense paid cruise of heaven. Not everyone goes on that excursion and wakes up with his heart still pumping blood. So you can imagine that was an experience Paul wanted to mix in to a sermon or two.

To keep Paul "from becoming conceited," God arranged for an unpleasant "messenger." Paul never tells us exactly what the "thorn in the flesh" was. But Paul does explain that he prayed fervently for God take to take it away. God, however, had another plan.

The messenger was to keep Paul's human condition in check. It was present to keep Paul "weak." The "weakness" forced Paul to draw from God's strength. So Paul turned the tables and started boasting about his weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and difficulties. He knew that his weaknesses forced him to depend on God.

Okay, ball's in your court. Going through a tough time? Depend on yourself and remain weak. Or...turn to God and be strong. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Selah.