Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Producing Filthy Rags

Here I go again.  I'm taking a verse and looking at it in it's original form.
 
Horrors.
 
You might like this one. 
 
We all know these two verses:
 
 All of us have become like one who is unclean, 
 and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; 
 we all shrivel up like a leaf, 
 and like the wind our sins sweep us away. (Isa. 64:6)
 
And
 
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.    Philippians 4:13
 
If you look at those two verses together one can conclude that no matter what we do, even if we consider it good, even if we think we matter, they are filthy rags.  Worthless.  To be discarded. 
 
Hang with me here.
 
In the second verse it is usually translated Christ WHO strengthens me.   I think rather looking at the Strong's the WHO can be translated which or that just as well.  It makes more sense that way anyhow.
 
Then if that is the case, what is the Christ in that context?   I submit the word Christ in that context should be translated "the anointed one, and his anointing". 
 
So, here's where the pressure relief valve comes in.  If, our work, our efforts, our righteous acts are garbage, only that which is done in and thru the anointed one and only when we are operating in his anointing will our righteous acts matter at all.  He gives us the ability to do all things thru that power he provides.  Anything else is rag producing.
 
Put another way, anything we do without operating in that anointing thru the anointed one is wood hay and stubble and will be burned up at the last judgment.  Only what is done for and thru the anointed one and his anointing will matter in the end.  Everything else is filthy rags.
 
When I examine my own life the pile of filthy rags ready for the fire is pretty high.  I'm trying to be less of a rag producer.  It's only when I operate in the anointing of God and thru the anointed one and his anointing that I can cease rag production.
 
You can't pour out what you don't possess.  If you aren't filled with the Holy Spirit it's hard to pour out if there's nothing in there. True for any Christian in any position.  Anything done in the flesh is filthy rags.
 
Let's stop being filthy rag producers. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me"

Anonymous said...

Galatians 2:20

My favorite.

Thank you anonymous #1